VEGAN BUDAE JJIGAE KOREAN ARMY BASE STEW
SOUP BASE MIX
- 3 tbsp gochujang or Korean chili paste
- 2 tbsp gochugaru or Korean chili powder (option: to just add 1/2 more gochujang or chili paste)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 150g NutriSoy Fresh Soya Milk No Sugar Added
- 1 cup kimchi
- 150g shiitake mushrooms
- 150g king oyster mushrooms
- 150g golden oyster mushrooms
- 200g extra firm tofu
- 750ml vegetable broth
- 1 green onion sliced plus more for topping
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 servings instant ramen noodles and 500g sliced rice cake
- 1L of water
Note: Nutrisoy Fresh Soya Milk is available in regular, reduced sugar and no sugar added, you may select according to your preference.
- Mix the soup base ingredients in a pot and stir over medium heat.
- Assemble the mushrooms and tofu, around the pot.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and the Nutrisoy Fresh Soya milk No Sugar Added, and top with the green onions. Cover the pot and leave the jjigae to come to a boil. Once it boils, allow the mushrooms to cook down. Taste the soup and feel free to season with salt, to taste, if needed.
- If using noodles, add in the noodles or until ready to enjoy and then cook until chewy.
- Budae jjigae is meant to be served hot-pot style so if you have a portable gas stove/ induction cooker, you can prepare everything then serve this at the dining table and cook it while you’re enjoying!